The Mulino dei Veraghi is the first, and probably the last one to go out of business in Molina. It was founded at the end of the 17th century. Until 1880, the mill was owned by two ladies from the Zivelonghi family who sold it to a colleague called Santo Sega. He expanded it adding different millstones for each type of grain, using material recovered from abandoned mills. Afterwards, the mill remained the property of the same family until Santo’s great-grandsons had to close it. The closure lasted for decades: in 1953 the mill stopped grinding flour for human consumption, and after 1970 they also closed the corn mill for animal feed.
When the mill was still in operation, it ground from 2 to 10 quintals a day. The processing speed depended on the volume of the water flow. Along a stone gutter, the water from the Veraghi spring falls on a 6.5 m large larch and iron wheel, driving a system of gears that makes the millstones rotate. Thanks to a special system of chains and ropes, the water flow can be directed.
In addition to the mechanism itself, the miller’s working tools are now preserved at the mill’s premises. Don’t be surprised if you see a hammer and a chisel among them: the millers had to adjust regularly the surface of the millstones, worn by the work.